Wednesday, October 12, 2011

"Thank You Falletinme Be Mice Elf Agin"

I'm likely the only one bothered by this, but I wanted to take two seconds just to point out that on the computer I use 95 percent of the time, I can't go back and edit my posts once I publish them. I have no idea why that is, but I feel it worth mentioning. I'd like to think that with the exception of one or two guaranteed typos in each post, they're pretty clear. Maybe I should edit them more carefully than I do before that first and only publish, but I get excited to share the posts with you and kind of don't... (awkward silence in type-form)
The post on my grandfather is still forthcoming, I've been working on other things like creative stuff, job apps, and trying my damnedest to get my father into Californication so I have someone to watch season 5 with in January. I plan on doing the post tomorrow, so look for it then.
The following is a quick post making its way to my blog simply because it's a little too involved to be a facebook status. I'm hoping I can get an 'Amen' or the secular equivalent by the time the post is through.
I've recently noticed a lack of variety in the "Thank You" card industry. Now, I'm not referring to style diversity. Having obviously been in the market for such a card recently, I can attest that you can find conservative, neutral-colored cards that will remind you of Hillary Clinton's wardrobe, classy cards with fancy script and flowers all over them, and ones with cute little animals that will melt your heart before you even open the card. What seems to be missing from this particular genre of cards are the subtleties of more casual gratefulness.
I mean, sometimes all you want to do is say "thanks" not "thank you". It seemed as though every card I picked out, even the more wacky looking ones with cartoon lettering and those same cute animals wearing sombreros and whatnot, seemed to give thanks in a really profound way for really life altering good deeds. I was just trying to say "thanks for the ride" and every card seemed to imply "thanks for taking that bullet for me, I'll grab the next one as soon as you're out of that hospital bed."
I propose a clear "appreciation scale" for thank you cards. A likely color-coded system that will accurately measure the magnitude of the gratitude (I like that) you wish to give the receiving party. This scale would range from: "Thank you for stepping in front of that train" to "thanks for spitting that lotto ticket" to "thanks for putting out that spontaneous house fire that formed while I was busy wrestling that grizzly bear" to "thanks for setting up that job interview" to "thanks for coming to the wedding and for having a star named after us as some sort of convoluted metaphor for our 'everlasting love', you cheap jerk" to "thanks for helping me move" to "thanks for the ride" and right on down the list until you get to situations where a simple high-five or bro-hug will suffice.
I suggest a similar scale for "sorry" cards called "Degrees of Apologies" that can range from "sorry I didn't step in front of that train" to "my bad for puking on your shoes, there's a reason I don't drink vodka; although you should probably blame Lloyd for bringing the pinata and making me drink that stuff anyway."
These are just my thoughts. I hope you see my point. If you do, thank you. If you don't, I'm sorry. Either way, the card's in the mail.
Song of the Day: I Need To Know-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Jazz Song of the Day: I Wanna Ride You-Medeski Martin and Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment